Tuesday, November 3, 2009

They test you while you are asleep?

As a teacher I am intimately familiar with tests. I have given pre-test, post tests, mid-term tests final tests. Tests on what you know, what you don’t know and on what you should know. I know about tests that use numbers, figures, colors, shapes and tests with physical objects and tests about abstract concepts. Now the doctor wants me to take a test while I am sleeping. How am I supposed to prepare? What about being alert so you can do your best?

So I was tested on something I thought I knew how to do. For the sleep test I showed up at the testing facility showered and shampooed and powder-less as requested at 8pm. I was to sleep from 11pm to 5 am. During that time they would watch and record me. They just had to attach a few leads to record data about movements. I had 5 glued to my scalp, two around each eye, and two on each leg. I was fitted with an elastic band over my breasts and another under my breasts with sensors in them attached to wire leads. Finally, a tube was place near my nostrils to measure my breathing. Then I had to go potty. After the technician helped me to the bathroom and reattached any wires that had loose she bid me “good night” if I needed anything just call out they be listening. I was supposed to relax and go to sleep while they watched.

I finally dozed off then awoke an hour later wrapped in wires and constricted by some kind of elastic boa. I had to go potty again. The entire going awaking and potty experience was repeated twice more. The last time I had 20 minutes to go in the sleep study so as so as I was hooked up again I had to be unhooked. My DH was waiting in the lobby to take me home. I removed about 2 pounds of glue from my body where the wire were attached and re-attached. My hair was sticking out all over because it was full of glue also and my face felt dry and crackled. I donned the same clothes I had arrived in and DH took me on the short trip home where I stumbled into my bedroom and promptly –fell asleep

The study showed I don’t know how to sleep. I was awaking myself too much. It was decided that I needed, not a pill or night’s sleep with-out being connected and watched and uncomfortable, but a C.P.A.P. machine. C.P.A.P. stands for continuous positive air pressure. The treatment consists of wearing a mask over your nose and mouth as air is delivered to your lungs. I suppose FATnose (Forcing Air Through Nose) didn’t sound as good.

I chose the less intimidating facemask. It had “nose pillows” that sounded good. Only it meant I would have to place these plugs in my nostrils to deliver air and keep my mouth closed. I adjusted to all that and even fell asleep. Then I would awake suddenly when the air had reached maximum pressure and turn off the machine and mask. Then fall back asleep. In the morning I would find the mask on my night table and try again the next night.

After about a month I decided this wasn’t working. The machine had a disk in it that collected information on how often and how long I wore the mask. I didn’t want to be labeled as non-compliant. That might cause my weight loss surgery to be postponed. So I called the sleep center. The tech said that the air was probably blowing my mouth open and waking me up. I had to come in the next week and get a different mask.” In the meantime try using a chin strap to keep your mouth closed”, he told me. Well that didn’t work. I felt like my head was caught in a trap.

I went in the next week and chose a full-face mask. Then I had to get used to it. I have to sleep on the side of my pillow. Every night I adjust the straps so that air doesn’t leak out around the edges of the mask. My forehead hurts from the pressure of the straps around it. I have to fill the humidifier every other day. I do find that I wear the mask longer though.

Second sleep study after I had “adjusted” to the new mask. I still had not adjusted to sleeping soundly with all those wires attached. Today I go to see the doctor and evaluate my performance on the second sleep test. I hope I pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment