Monday, November 23, 2009

There's no place like home.

I was really, really ready to go home.
The worst part of the surgery was waiting for it to start. I don’t remember anything after kissing DH goodbye and waking for a bit in the recovery room at least that is where I think I was someone was everything was over and that I would be going to my room soon. Next thing I knew, I was being wheeled into a hallway where DH, the kids, Mom and my sister were. Somehow I was moved into a bed that I was to be in for the next three days.
My hospital visit was four days. My blood pressure went way too low and my oxygen saturation wasn’t high enough.
The rest of that first day I slept and mostly finished clearing those drugs from surgery out of my system.
The second day I felt much better than I expected too. I was almost pain free. I remarked how surprised I was about the ease recovery seemed to be and the nurse replied “well you do have two liters of morphine on board” oh yeah I also had a pain ball installed for internal pain management. It would release small amounts of painkillers on a continuous basis.
The room temperature was comfortable for me but Mom was freezing. I found out later that morphine makes your system run hot.
I had a Foley catheter installed which was a God send, I didn’t have to get up and constantly use the bathroom.
The second day they worked on bringing my blood pressure in line and I walked from the bed to almost the next room. The next time it was hallway down the hall and the next the whole hallway. I did the other direction next time. My Foley had been removed by then so the next time I walked I had to turn around and head back to the room to go potty. Being up and active had stimulated my bladder.
The third day Dr. Pilcher came in at 6 am for his regular visit. My O2 saturation was still low so he wanted me to stay an extra day. Since he was going to be out of town on Friday he was going to have an associate look at me and determine release. That was okay, I mean what could I do? We waited and waited the next morning to see the doctor. Well she didn’t see her patients at 6 am it was 4pm before she came in to see me. She told me that if I could keep my O2 level up for two hours she would release me. I worked on that by keeping an eye on the monitor and deep breathing every time it dropped levels. Finally the nurse said I was clear to go and we wasted no time packing up our stuff and getting out of there.
We forgot to bring a pillow to hold against me but I didn’t need it. DH is a good driver. Once we got on the expressways there was not problem. I was on my way

No comments:

Post a Comment