Monday, June 28, 2010

Cakes,Pies and Cookies Oh My!

DD birthday is coming up. She is a dietician. I’ve been researching “healthy” birthday cakes. I think that is an oxymoron.

Howto Make it Health- ier

My DH family always got to choose a flavor of pie for their birthday. As long as it was Lemon Meringue which happened to be the cook’s, favorite. DH hates Lemon Meringue

When kids were little I went all out. I was making birthday cakes for them starting in the nursery with stacked, decorated donuts and mini boxes of raisins wrapped in gift wrap with bows for favors.

I made “pizza” for in school birthday celebrations. Sugar cookie dough crust, red colored icing for tomato sauce and cut up fruit leather for toppings. I put the “pizzas” in boxes that I begged from Domino’s Pizza. The day care teachers were fooled and wanted to know which Domino’s would deliver birthday pizzas.
One year I had a “Kidnap” breakfast for DD birthday. The cake was a potted plant it was actually a “dirt cake” with gummy worms and parsley as the plant
I’ve made countless decorated chocolate cookie birthday “cakes”. I made individual gingerbread houses at Christams. and had cookie decorating parties

And too many carb-coma inducing, over frosted, heavy on the sugary decoration cakes and cookies
Sadly the kids grew out of the birthday party-cake part of their lives. I had to scrounge to find an outlet for my desires. I made Mom a cat litter cake that she loves to take to events at her retirement village. For Halloween I made a black spider cake that oozed green “blood” when cut. The closest I’ve come so far to a healthy cake is a watermelon almond tart that I made for Sis’s birthday.

Looks can be deceiving
All that I grew out of was my clothes.

Since I had the gastric bypass surgery I don’t eat much cake. Half of a cupcake, maybe a whole cupcake if I had all my protein and still have room is enough for me now. At the last wedding I went to I bypassed the cake as not interesting enough to warrant a bite.

DD is now in a cupcake phase and I sampled some of her efforts if they were significantly novel. Plain chocolate or vanilla doesn’t move me.

I’ve realized though that it isn’t the product that was so compelling but the process. Even with the surgery I can still indulge my creative cooking side. I just need many people to share the results with.
Healthy or Hi-calorie
Pie or Cake?
I think I’ll split the difference and make this:





Cherry Pie Birthday Cake Design



By Karen Tack, Parenting.com


Serves 12

Ingredients:


1 cake baked in a (9-inch) deep dish pie plate


1 can (16 oz) vanilla frosting


Yellow food coloring


½ tsp cocoa powder


2 cans (21 oz each) cherry pie filling, drained


What you'll need:


2 resealable sandwich-size plastic bags (Ziploc)


Frosting the cake:


Tint the vanilla frosting with a few drops of yellow food coloring and the cocoa powder to make a pie-crust beige. Divide the frosting between the 2 resealable plastic bags.


To complete the decoration:


Spoon the drained cherry pie filling on top of the cake, leaving a 1-inch rim of cake.


Snip a ½ inch corner from the bags with the beige frosting. Pipe 5 parallel rows of frosting over the pie filling about 1 ½ inches apart.


Pipe 5 more lines of frosting on the diagonal to make the lattice crust.


Pipe a decorative edge around outside edge of cake to make the outer crust of pie.

Cherry Pie Cake

Maybe I’ll use the new low sugar cake mixes.

Pillsbury



Tell me about your favorite birthday cakes.



Take my survey are you a cake or pie person?

No comments:

Post a Comment