Thursday, June 17, 2010

Exercise and the Unmotivated, Unwilling and Unfit

from Friday, April 30, 2010



My MS complicates my life. I had to retire from teaching; a job I loved. I had to quit driving; resulting in feelings of isolation. And just about the time I had the time and energy to concentrate on my kids- they grew up and didn’t need or want “Mommy’s” help. I became confined to a wheelchair.

Part of deciding that now was MY time was the surgery and increasing my mobility that meant exercise. I try to fit exercise into my life in ways that I can handle it. Sometimes just getting showered and dressed is the only exercise I can handle.

I know I must exercise. I can quote all that stuff how exercise will improve your mental outlook, help you lose and maintain your weight, improve cardiac health, is good for the environment and is right with God.

But I don’t wanna do it!

I have to see immediate results I’m all for instant gratification. So in order to exercise I have to make a game out of it. I record every step I take every exercise I try and record all my measurements. I compete against myself. Longer, faster, more inches lost, less pounds weighed

That is why I find Spark so valuable. I can record the results of exercise, my weight and measurements and even read about new exercise ideas or get motivation.

My next reward is to trade our recumbent bike which DH got to save his knees for a folding treadmill. If I could hook it up to run the computer that would be ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment